Do transfers of ownership have anything to do with Registrations?

The short answer is, YES.

Transfers have everything to do with Registrations if you acquire or change ownership of one of your goats.  In fact no Registrations of the animal or offspring may be completed unless you have a Seller-signed Transfer.  The buyer cannot fill out the transfer themselves, if the seller has not given the buyer the signed transfer.  Also the seller must also own the goat. If the seller had formerly acquired the goat and did not obtain a signed transfer from the person the goat was acquired from, the seller technically cannot sell the goat, until he or she obtains a signed transfer also.

What is a Legitimate Transfer?

  • Name, address, phone number, email address of Seller
  • Name, address, phone number, email address of Buyer
  • Sale/Change of Ownership data
  • Full name, Date of Birth and Physical Identification on the goat (physical Identification: Scrapie Tag, 840 Microchip or Registry approved tattoo)
  • Description of goat
  • Seller Signature

Then Transfer and Identification Records must be retained by both farms for five years.

What if I don’t have a Transfer?

Without a signed transfer:

  • The animal cannot be placed in your name
  • No offspring can be registered in your herdname
  • Technically since you can’t prove ownership, then you could easily lose your animal should somebody say you didn’t pay for the animal.  For your protection, you need to obtain transfers
  • Plus it is the law
  • So if you don’t have a transfer, go back to the person you acquired the animal from and obtain the transfer

What are Transfers of Ownership types?

Transfer of Ownership is any change​

  • Give
  • Trade
  • Buy
  • Auction (Auction Receipt must contain all of the information for the Registration. Unless the goat’s Transfer from the Purebred registration OR application for Registration is also supplied from the seller, the goat will be Recorded as A grade.)
  • Dissolve a farm partnership
  • Legal Dispute (There will be NO transfers of ownership or Registration Certificates completed by IGSCR until the Dispute is settled. What type of Registration Certificate is given, after the Judgement depends upon the outcome of the Judgement.)
  • Any change of ownership

Myths about Ownership Transfers

  • “I just paid cash so I don’t need a Transfer.” Wrong. You still need the Transfer
  • “Oh, my friend just gave me the goat, so there is no transfer.” Wrong. This is still a transfer of ownership. You need the Transfer of Ownership signed.
  • “I traded my goat (or sheep) for another one, so there is no transfer.” Yes, there is still a transfer. You need the Transfer from the former owner and you need to give the other person a Transfer too.
  • “I don’t need to complete the Transfers through IGSCR.” If you don’t want registered goats and sheep, then you are correct. However, if you want registered animals, then the only way you can obtain Registrations from dams you have, is for the dams to be placed into your name by IGSCR. This is completed through you submitting the Transfer to IGSCR.
  • “Its ok if I don’t do Transfers, the seller doesn’t do Transfers, etc.” Wrong. Transfers need to be completed through IGSCR as soon as you acquire the animal.

Bottom Line….

When you acquire a goat or sheep

  • Obtain a signed Transfer from the person you obtained the goat from. If you want to register, ensure that the seller lists that he/she allows Registration
  • ​If you send a goat to someone else, Give them a Signed Transfer
  • Ensure that one of the USDA-approved Identification forms are physically on the goat or sheep. (Scrapie Tag, Microchip or Tattoo)
  • If the goat or sheep is not registered yet, ensure that there is an IGSCR Application for Registration signed by the seller. If animal is registered from a non-IGSCR Official Registry, please obtain a copy of the other registry’s Registration Certificate. A 5-6 Generation pedigree purchased y you may be required also from the other registry. If the animal is not registered, also try to obtain clear side photos of the parents.

NOTE: If you want an unregistered goat that you acquired to be Registerable, then you need to also obtain a signed and filled out IGSCR Registration Application. Send that into IGSCR office prior to the sale, so that we can stamp it approved (if the goat is registerable.  Most are, but some that are not, because transfers etc have not been done.

IGSCR is also planning to create a program where if an seller doesn’t want to do the Registration and/or the Transfer on babies from their form, the would be able to fill out the Litter Certificate. This is similar to how AKC does it on their dogs. This will allow sellers to track their own transfers direct from their own IGSCR online database. It will also allow Breeders to create the online IGSCR log of babies born on their farms, to speed up the Registration process.

How to Apply for Transfer of Ownership with IGSCR

If you are the new owner:

  • Send in the signed transfer via email to IGSCR or 
  • Attach the Seller-Signed Transfer to the online Transfer form

If you are the seller:

  • Use the Online Transfer Form and check that you are the one transferring ownership to the new owner
  • Fill in the form and hit SUBMIT


Don’t forget payment for the transfers

  • At time of Original Registration Certificate $2.50
  • After Original Registration Certificate $3.50 without photo on Registration Certificate
  • After Original Registration Certificate $4.50 with photo on Registration Certificate